Thursday, March 21, 2013

From Another Land

I was sitting at baseball practice the other evening and having a discussion with a two moms one of which just moved from South Africa. She was talking about how much safer it was here. She feels like she doesn't need to lock her car. I addressed it but that is not the part of the conversation that I want to talk about.
She went on to start talking about the differences in how our typical home layout is different from theirs. She was saying the layout had her 14yr. old not being able to sleep for 2 weeks and she is still nervous. What she described to us was this. First their houses are in a compound with guards at the gate and controlling access. Then the house itself is walled in with electric fencing around the top and heavy access gates. Their yards are typically patrolled by a guard dog, I have read elsewhere that other animals such as large cats have been used as well. The have an electronic alarm system. The next part brought an Ohh hell no from me. Inside the house their bed rooms are on one hallway and at the entrance to the hall their is a heavy gate to prevent a would be intruder from accessing the occupants in the night. My response was so you lock yourself up to stay safe from intruders WOW!

She went on to talk about how she is surprised how open Texan's are about discussing guns. There are people there that own them but they are highly permitted and restricted. They are protection and discussion of such comes as mum's the word.

I managed to contain my inner gunny and did not get all threeper on her. But wow.

What scares me is this may be heading our way quickly. She said that she grew up in an environment more like we live in today as far as security for the home. If the current state of this country continues to deteriorate and the middle class continues to be destroyed even with all the firearm rights we enjoy we could see this happen here.
I cannot see myself caging my family for protection. If things got that bad I wonder how many lawyers would start up a frequent user program. The district attorneys may even get to know some of us by name.

I intend to have further discussions but this one made me proud of my country and state and happy to have been blessed to live here.

I am not a Native Texan but I got here as fast as I could.

2 comments:

  1. Ever read Heinlein's future of America stuff? Just as bad as what she is describing and probably not too far off unfortunately.


    I wonder if she was aware of the connection between lack of bars on the houses and the number of guns available to home owners?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a native Texan. I never would have guessed.
    Well semper fi brother. And a belated welcome home.
    yeah, it it gets to that point, I'm thinking compound bows, arrows and machetes.

    ReplyDelete